DIY Floral Monogram

It’s been quite the week.  Sick kids, appointments to the allergist, and respiratory specialist, a visit to the walk in clinic, passport office, medicine three times a day for one, puffers two times a day for the other, orders to finish and to be picked up, and then on top of it I hosted three small online garage sales!
It got to the point today, where I just wanted to start and finish something just because – just because I wanted to!  So I did, and believe you me, craft therapy is real!  The Lord just knew what I needed!  After dropping my biggest little at the bus, my littlest little fell asleep in the car, and transferred to his bed without a hitch!  I brewed myself some (more) coffee, turned on Netflix and got my craft on!  I’m so happy with how it turned out so I figured I’d share it all with you in what appears to be my quarterly blog!  I didn’t take a million tutorial pictures along the way, but I’ll share with you what I know!  First things first.  Michaels has a BOGO sale going on for all of their floral stems!  So I bought all of these – regular $49 for $25!

IMG_1061

Gotta love a sale like that.  And if there was no sale, there would’ve been no crafting for me today, and I wouldn’t have this post successful craft high that I’m on right now!

Next I took my wire cutters and snipped off all those pretty flowers and some of the leaves that I would use for filler – and then took a picture of it – cuz gosh these are some pretty fake flowers!
IMG_9499
As my hot glue gun warmed up, I found an old diaper box kicking around and just free hand drew a letter R (for our last name) and took an exacto knife and carefully cut it out.  I tried my best to make it proportionate and straight, but true story – i’m not a perfectionist, and i knew these flowers would hide any of my crazy cutting skills.  In case you’re wondering how my letter looked before I covered it with pretty flowers, well i forgot to take a picture.  But I did just snag a pic of the left over diaper box.   Not the worst R in the world hey?IMG_1076.jpg

Then I got hot glue gun happy!  First I grabbed some super glittery ribbon I had kicking around and wrapped a loop around the top of the R for hanging.  After that I didn’t really have a method to my madness, and no pictures to show what I did… I just filled and made it up as I went.  I did however, first place my larger peonies scattered evenly throughout the R, and then went to my medium flowers, and then filled in spaces with smaller flowers, baby breath and finished by gluing the leaves under flowers, I also glued little flowers over top of the leave so they were a little hidden… So i guess I did have a bit of method to my madness! 😛 IMG_9558

And well Voila!  I’m so happy with how it turned out.  It’s so springy and happy, and makes this chaotic week that we just went through not feel so bad!  I currently have it hanging outside on my front door, but I’m actually considering bringing it in and incorporating it into my gallery wall.  We’ll see.  I don’t trust Calgary weather to be very nice to it, and if it’s hanging inside I’ll get to stare at it all the time.  Ok, I convinced myself, it’s coming in!

Here are a few pics of the finished product!

IMG_1083IMG_9536IMG_9552Hope you enjoyed!  Hope to see you back here before July!!  Have a great weekend 🙂
XOXO Meryl

One thought on “DIY Floral Monogram

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s